Young people and suicide
Fortunately, suicide in young people under the age of 18 is rare
- Although rates are probably under-reported, in the UK, around 180-200 young people die by suicide each year.
- Children as young as 11 have died by suicide.
- Suicide rates increase with age and are higher in late teens.
- Boys are more than twice as likely to die by suicide as girls.
- The most common method of suicide is hanging
- Approximately half of those who die are not known to any agency or service.
Last updated: 24 April, 2018